— dyable, dyeable , adj. — dyer , n.
/duy/ , n. , v. , dyed, dyeing .
1. a coloring material or matter.
2. a liquid containing coloring matter, for imparting a particular hue to cloth, paper, etc.
3. color or hue, esp. as produced by dyeing.
4. of the deepest or blackest dye , of the most extreme or the worst sort: a prevaricator of the blackest dye.
5. to color or stain; treat with a dye; color (cloth, hair, etc.) with a substance containing coloring matter: to dye a dress green.
6. to impart (color) by means of a dye: The coloring matter dyed green.
7. to impart color, as a dye: This brand dyes well.
8. to become colored or absorb color when treated with a dye: This cloth dyes easily.
[ bef. 1000; ME dien, OE deagian, deriv. of deag a dye ]