— executively , adv. — executiveness , n.
/ig zek"yeuh tiv/ , n.
1. a person or group of persons having administrative or supervisory authority in an organization.
2. the person or persons in whom the supreme executive power of a government is vested.
3. the executive branch of a government.
4. of, pertaining to, or suited for carrying out plans, duties, etc.: executive ability.
5. pertaining to or charged with the execution of laws and policies or the administration of public affairs: executive appointments; executive committees.
6. designed for, used by, or suitable for executives: an executive suite.
[ 1400-50; late ME executivus, equiv. to L execut ( us ) (ptp. of ex ( s ) equi; see EXECUTE) + -ivus -IVE ]