Meaning of FENDER in English
/fen"deuhr/ , n.
1. the pressed and formed sheet-metal part mounted over the road wheels of an automobile, bicycle, etc., to reduce the splashing of mud, water, and the like.
2. a device on the front of a locomotive, streetcar, or the like, for clearing the track of obstructions.
3. a mudguard or splashboard on a horse-drawn vehicle.
4. Naut. a piece of timber, bundle of rope, or the like, hung over the side of a vessel to lessen shock or prevent chafing, as between the vessel and a dock or another vessel.
5. a low metal guard before an open fireplace, to keep back falling coals.
6. a person or thing that wards something off.
[ 1350-1400; ME fendour, aph. var. of defendour DEFENDER ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012