Meaning of FOWL in English
/fowl/ , n. , pl. fowls , ( esp. collectively ) fowl , v.
1. the domestic or barnyard hen or rooster; chicken. Cf. domestic fowl .
2. any of several other, usually gallinaceous, birds that are barnyard, domesticated, or wild, as the duck, turkey, or pheasant.
3. (in market and household use) a full-grown domestic fowl for food purposes, as distinguished from a chicken or young fowl.
4. the flesh or meat of a domestic fowl.
5. any bird (used chiefly in combination): waterfowl; wildfowl.
6. to hunt or take wildfowl.
[ bef. 900; ME foul, OE fugol, fugel; c. OS fugal, Goth fugls, OHG fogal (G Vogel ) ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012