/fyooh"cheuhr/ , n.
1. time that is to be or come hereafter.
2. something that will exist or happen in time to come: The future is rooted in the past.
3. a condition, esp. of success or failure, to come: Some people believe a gypsy can tell you your future.
a. the future tense.
b. another future formation or construction.
c. a form in the future, as He will come.
5. Usually, futures . speculative purchases or sales of commodities for future receipt or delivery.
6. that is to be or come hereafter: future events; on some future day.
7. pertaining to or connected with time to come: one's future prospects; future plans.
8. Gram. noting or pertaining to a tense or other verb formation or construction that refers to events or states in time to come.
[ 1325-75; ME futur AF, OF futurus about to be (fut. participle of esse to be) ]