Meaning of GRAVITY in English
/grav"i tee/ , n. , pl. gravities .
1. the force of attraction by which terrestrial bodies tend to fall toward the center of the earth.
2. heaviness or weight.
3. gravitation in general.
4. See acceleration of gravity .
5. a unit of acceleration equal to the acceleration of gravity. Symbol: g
6. serious or critical nature: He seemed to ignore the gravity of his illness.
7. serious or dignified behavior; dignity; solemnity: to preserve one's gravity.
8. lowness in pitch, as of sounds.
[ 1500-10; gravitat- (s. of gravitas ) heaviness, equiv. to grav ( is ) heavy, GRAVE 2 + -itat- -ITY ]
Syn. 6. seriousness, danger, emergency, import.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012