Meaning of HARDWARE in English
/hahrd"wair'/ , n.
1. metalware, as tools, locks, hinges, or cutlery.
2. the mechanical equipment necessary for conducting an activity, usually distinguished from the theory and design that make the activity possible.
3. military weapons and combat equipment.
4. Slang. a weapon carried on one's person: The rougher types were asked to check their hardware at the door.
5. Computers. the mechanical, magnetic, electronic, and electrical devices comprising a computer system, as the CPU, disk drives, keyboard, or screen. Cf. software .
[ 1505-15; 1955-60 for def. 5; HARD + WARE 1 ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012