/hop"euhr/ , n.
1. a person or thing that hops.
2. Informal. a person who travels or moves frequently from one place or situation to another (usually used in combination): a two-week tour designed for energetic city-hoppers.
3. any of various jumping insects, as grasshoppers or leafhoppers.
4. Australian. kangaroo.
5. a funnel-shaped chamber or bin in which loose material, as grain or coal, is stored temporarily, being filled through the top and dispensed through the bottom.
6. Railroads. See hopper car .
7. U.S. Politics. a box into which a proposed legislative bill is dropped and thereby officially introduced.
8. one of the pieces at each side of a hopper casement.
9. in the hopper , Informal. in preparation; about to be realized: Plans for the class reunion are in the hopper.
[ 1200-50; ME; see HOP 1 , -ER 1 ]