— inker , n. — inkless , adj. — inklike , adj.
/ingk/ , n.
1. a fluid or viscous substance used for writing or printing.
2. a dark, protective fluid ejected by the cuttlefish and other cephalopods.
3. publicity, esp. in print media.
4. to mark, stain, cover, or smear with ink: to ink one's clothes.
5. Slang. to sign one's name to (an official document): We expect to ink the contract tomorrow.
[ 1200-50; ME inke, enke enque encautum, var. of encaustum énkauston purple ink, n. use of neut. of énkaustos burnt in. See ENCAUSTIC ]