Meaning of IRISH in English
— Irishly , adv.
/uy"rish/ , adj.
1. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of Ireland, its inhabitants, or their language.
2. the inhabitants of Ireland and their descendants elsewhere.
3. the aboriginal Celtic-speaking people of Ireland.
4. Also called Irish Gaelic . the Celtic language of Ireland in its historical or modern form. Abbr.: Ir, Ir. Cf. Middle Irish, Old Irish .
5. See Irish English .
6. See Irish whiskey .
7. get one's Irish up , Informal. to become angry or outraged: Don't go getting your Irish up over a little matter like that.
[ 1175-1225; ME Yrisse, Iris ( c ) h; cf. OE Iras people of Ireland (c. ON Irar ); see -ISH 1 ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012