/ledh"euhr/ , n.
1. the skin of an animal, with the hair removed, prepared for use by tanning or a similar process designed to preserve it against decay and make it pliable or supple when dry.
2. an article made of this material.
3. See stirrup leather .
4. pertaining to, made of, or resembling leather: leather processing; leather upholstery.
5. Slang. catering to or patronized by customers who typically wear leather clothing, often as a means of signaling interest in or preference for sadomasochistic sexual activity.
6. to cover or furnish with leather.
7. Informal. to beat with a leather strap.
[ bef. 1000; ME lether, OE lether- (in compounds); c. D, G leder, ON lethr, MIr lethar skin, leather, Welsh lledr, Middle Breton lezr leather ]