Meaning of MANUAL in English
— manually , adv.
/man"yooh euhl/ , adj.
1. done, operated, worked, etc., by the hand or hands rather than by an electrical or electronic device: a manual gearshift.
2. involving or using human effort, skill, power, energy, etc.; physical: manual labor.
3. of or pertaining to the hand or hands: manual deformities.
4. of the nature of a manual or handbook: manual instructions.
5. a small book, esp. one giving information or instructions: a manual of mathematical tables.
6. a nonelectric or nonelectronic typewriter; a typewriter whose keys and carriage may be powered solely by the typist's hands.
7. Mil. the prescribed drill in handling a rifle: the manual of arms.
8. Music. a keyboard, esp. one of several belonging to a pipe organ.
9. Auto. See manual transmission .
[ 1375-1425; manualis (adj.), manuale (n.) (something) that can be held in the hand ( manu ( s ) hand + -alis, -ale -AL 1 , -AL 2 ); r. late ME manuel ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012