Meaning of MINIMUM in English
/min"euh meuhm/ , n. , pl. minimums, minima /-meuh/ , adj.
1. the least quantity or amount possible, assignable, allowable, or the like.
2. the lowest speed permitted on a highway.
3. the lowest amount, value, or degree attained or recorded.
4. an arbitrary amount set by a restaurant, nightclub, etc., as the least amount to be charged each person for food and drink. Cf. cover charge .
a. Also called relative minimum, local minimum . the value of a function at a certain point in its domain, which is less than or equal to the values at all other points in the immediate vicinity of the point. Cf. absolute minimum .
b. the point in the domain at which a minimum occurs.
6. noting or indicating a minimum.
7. least possible: minimum risk.
8. lowest: a minimum rate.
9. pertaining to a minimum or minimums.
[ 1655-65; minimus smallest, least. See MINOR ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012