/nay"beuhr hood'/ , n.
1. the area or region around or near some place or thing; vicinity: the kids of the neighborhood; located in the neighborhood of Jackson and Vine streets.
2. a district or locality, often with reference to its character or inhabitants: a fashionable neighborhood; to move to a nicer neighborhood.
3. a number of persons living near one another or in a particular locality: The whole neighborhood was there.
4. neighborly feeling or conduct.
5. nearness; proximity: to sense the neighborhood of trouble.
6. Math. an open set that contains a given point.
7. in the neighborhood of , approximately; nearly; about: She looks to be in the neighborhood of 70.
[ 1400-50; late ME neighborehode. See NEIGHBOR, -HOOD ]
Syn. 2. community, area, locale, vicinity.