Meaning of NORTHERN in English
— northernness , n.
/nawr"dheuhrn/ , adj.
1. lying toward or situated in the north.
2. directed or proceeding northward.
3. coming from the north, as a wind.
4. ( often cap. ) of or pertaining to the North, esp. the northern U.S.
5. Astron. north of the celestial equator or of the zodiac: a northern constellation.
6. a person living in a northern region or country.
7. ( cap. ) a steam locomotive having a four-wheeled front truck, eight driving wheels, and a four-wheeled rear truck. See table under Whyte classification .
[ bef. 900; ME, OE; see NORTH, -ERN ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012