Meaning of OPENER in English
/oh"peuh neuhr/ , n.
1. a person or thing that opens.
2. a device for opening sealed containers: can opener.
3. the first of several theatrical numbers, variety acts, sports events, etc.: a humorous monologue as an opener.
4. openers , Poker. cards in a hand, as a pair of jacks or better, that according to a given standard are worth enough to enable the holder to make the first bet of a deal.
5. for openers , as an initially stated reason or argument; at the outset; to begin with: Well, for openers, I don't have the money.
[ 1540-50; OPEN + -ER 1 ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012