Meaning of PATIENT in English
— patientless , adj. — patiently , adv. — patientness , n.
/pay"sheuhnt/ , n.
1. a person who is under medical care or treatment.
2. a person or thing that undergoes some action.
3. Archaic. a sufferer or victim.
4. bearing provocation, annoyance, misfortune, delay, hardship, pain, etc., with fortitude and calm and without complaint, anger, or the like.
5. characterized by or expressing such a quality: a patient smile.
6. quietly and steadily persevering or diligent, esp. in detail or exactness: a patient worker.
7. undergoing the action of another (opposed to agent ).
8. patient of ,
a. having or showing the capacity for endurance: a man patient of distractions.
b. susceptible of: This statement is patient of criticism.
[ 1275-1325; ME pacient (adj. and n.) patient- (s. of patiens ), prp. of pati to undergo, suffer, bear; see -ENT ]
Syn. 1. invalid. 4. uncomplaining, long-suffering, forbearing, resigned, passive, calm. 5. quiet, serene, unruffled, unexcited, self-possessed, composed. 6. sedulous, assiduous, untiring.
Ant. 4. hostile. 5. impatient, agitated.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012