Meaning of PENETRATION in English
/pen'i tray"sheuhn/ , n.
1. the act or power of penetrating.
2. mental acuteness, discernment, or insight: a scholar of rare penetration.
3. the obtaining of a share of a market for some commodity or service.
4. the extension, usually peaceful, of the influence of one nation or culture into the affairs of another.
5. a military attack that penetrates into enemy territory.
6. Gunnery. the depth to which a projectile goes into the target.
7. the measure of relative depth of field of a telescope or microscope, esp. a binocular microscope.
[ 1595-1605; penetration- (s. of penetratio ). See PENETRATE, -ION ]
Syn. 2. understanding, perception, discrimination, depth, profundity.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012