Meaning of PIER in English
/pear/ , n.
1. a structure built on posts extending from land out over water, used as a landing place for ships, an entertainment area, a strolling place, etc.; jetty.
2. (in a bridge or the like) a support for the ends of adjacent spans.
3. a square pillar.
4. a portion of wall between doors, windows, etc.
5. a pillar or post on which a gate or door is hung.
6. a support of masonry, steel, or the like for sustaining vertical pressure.
7. a long passageway or corridor that extends from a central area of a building, esp. one at an airport that leads to boarding gates.
[ bef. 1150; ME pere, earlier (perh. late OE) per pera, pera pier of a bridge ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012