/prob"leuhm/ , n.
1. any question or matter involving doubt, uncertainty, or difficulty.
2. a question proposed for solution or discussion.
3. Math. a statement requiring a solution, usually by means of a mathematical operation or geometric construction.
4. no problem , (used as a conventional reply to a request or to express confirmation, affirmation, or gratitude).
5. difficult to train or guide; unruly: a problem child.
6. Literature. dealing with choices of action difficult either for an individual or for society at large: a problem play.
[ 1350-1400; ME probleme problema próblema orig., obstacle, (akin to probállein to throw or lay before), equiv. to pro- PRO- 2 + -ble-, var. s. of bállein to throw (cf. PARABOLA) + -ma n. suffix of result ]
Syn. 1, 2. puzzle, riddle, enigma.
Ant. 1. certitude.