Meaning of RELAXATION in English
/ree'lak say"sheuhn/ , n.
1. abatement or relief from bodily or mental work, effort, application, etc.
2. an activity or recreation that provides such relief; diversion; entertainment.
3. a loosening or slackening.
4. diminution or remission of strictness or severity.
5. Math. a numerical procedure for solving systems of equations by successive approximations of the variables.
a. the return of a system undergoing dissipation to an initial state of equilibrium after being displaced from it.
b. the approach to steady-state operation of a system that has undergone dissipation and a change in state or has been subjected to an abrupt periodic disturbance.
[ 1375-1425; late ME relaxation- (s. of relaxatio ), equiv. to relaxat ( us ) (ptp. of relaxare to RELAX; see -ATE 1 ) + -ion- -ION ]
Syn. 2. fun, amusement, pleasure.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012