— statically , adv.
/stat"ik/ , adj. Also, statical .
1. pertaining to or characterized by a fixed or stationary condition.
2. showing little or no change: a static concept; a static relationship.
3. lacking movement, development, or vitality: The novel was marred by static characterizations, especially in its central figures.
4. Sociol. referring to a condition of social life bound by tradition.
5. Elect. pertaining to or noting static electricity.
6. noting or pertaining to atmospheric electricity interfering with radar, radio, the sending and receiving of wireless messages, etc.
7. Physics. acting by mere weight without producing motion: static pressure.
8. Econ. pertaining to fixed relations, or different combinations of fixed quantities: static population.
a. static or atmospheric electricity.
b. interference due to such electricity.
10. Informal. difficulty; trouble: Will your dad give you any static on using the car?
[ 1560-70; staticus statikós, equiv. to sta- (s. of histánai to make STAND) + -tikos -TIC ]