Meaning of STRETCHER in English
/strech"euhr/ , n.
a. a kind of litter, often of canvas stretched on a frame, for carrying the sick, wounded, or dead.
b. a similar litter on wheels, adapted for use in ambulances and hospitals.
2. a person or thing that stretches.
3. any of various instruments for extending, widening, distending, etc.
4. a bar, beam, or fabricated material, serving as a tie or brace.
5. Masonry. a brick or stone laid in a wall so that its longer edge is exposed or parallel to the surface. Cf. header (def. 5a).
6. a simple wooden framework on which the canvas for an oil painting is stretched.
a. a framework connecting and bracing the legs of a piece of furniture.
b. one member of this framework.
8. a crosspiece that is set athwart and near the bottom in a small boat, and against which the feet of a rower are braced.
9. one of the thin, sliding rods connecting the canopy and handle of an umbrella.
10. to stretch (canvas for a painting) on a stretcher.
[ 1375-1425; late ME stretcher. See STRETCH, -ER 1 ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012