— symbolically , adv. — symbolicalness , n.
/sim bol"ik/ , adj.
1. serving as a symbol of something (often fol. by of ).
2. of, pertaining to, or expressed by a symbol.
3. characterized by or involving the use of symbols: a highly symbolic poem.
4. (in semantics, esp. formerly) pertaining to a class of words that express only relations. Cf. notional (def. 7).
5. Computers. expressed in characters, usually nonnumeric, that require translation before they can be used (opposed to absolute ).
Also, symbolical (for defs. 1-4).
[ 1650-60; symbolicus symbolikós. See SYMBOL, -IC ]