Meaning of ENGINEER in English
/en'jeuh near"/ , n.
1. a person trained and skilled in the design, construction, and use of engines or machines, or in any of various branches of engineering: a mechanical engineer; a civil engineer.
2. a person who operates or is in charge of an engine.
3. Also called locomotive engineer . Railroads. a person who operates or is in charge of a locomotive.
4. a member of an army, navy, or air force specially trained in engineering work.
5. a skillful manager: a political engineer.
6. to plan, construct, or manage as an engineer: He's engineered several big industrial projects.
7. to design or create using the techniques or methods of engineering: The motor has been engineered to run noiselessly.
8. to arrange, manage, or carry through by skillful or artful contrivance: He certainly engineered the election campaign beautifully.
[ 1350-1400; ENGINE + -EER; r. ME engin ( e ) our engineor OF engigneor ingeniator, equiv. to ingenia ( re ) to design, devise (v. deriv. of ingenium; see ENGINE) + L -tor -TOR ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012