Meaning of REFERENCE in English
/ref"euhr euhns, ref"reuhns/ , n. , v. , referenced, referencing .
1. an act or instance of referring.
2. a mention; allusion.
3. something for which a name or designation stands; denotation.
4. a direction in a book or writing to some other book, passage, etc.
5. a book, passage, etc., to which one is directed.
6. See reference mark (def. 2).
7. material contained in a footnote or bibliography, or referred to by a reference mark.
8. use or recourse for purposes of information: a library for public reference.
9. a person to whom one refers for testimony as to one's character, abilities, etc.
10. a statement, usually written, as to a person's character, abilities, etc.
11. relation, regard, or respect: all persons, without reference to age.
12. to furnish (a book, dissertation, etc.) with references: Each new volume is thoroughly referenced.
13. to arrange (notes, data, etc.) for easy reference: Statistical data is referenced in the glossary.
14. to refer to: to reference a file.
[ 1580-90; REFER + -ENCE ]
Syn. 4. note, citation. 10. endorsement. 11. consideration, concern.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012