Meaning of AGONY in English
▪ excruciating , extreme , intense
▪ absolute , pure , sheer , utter
▪ mental , physical
The little creature squirmed in its death agonies.
VERB + AGONY
▪ endure , go through , suffer
He endured the agonies of loneliness.
They went through ~ in the search for their missing relatives.
▪ cause , inflict
She was causing David a great deal of ~.
Don't prolong the agony—just tell me the result!
▪ in ~
The soldier died in ~.
▪ in an ~ of
She mumbled an apology in an ~ of embarrassment.
▪ a groan of ~ , a scream of ~
▪ groan in ~ , scream in ~
▪ be contorted in ~ , writhe in ~
His face was contorted in ~ as he tried to lift himself out of the chair.
Oxford Collocations English Dictionary. Оксфордский английский словарь словосочетаний . 2012