1 powder that is left after sth has burned
▪ glowing , hot , red-hot , smouldering/smoldering
the glowing ~es of the dying fire
The fire had died to cold ~es.
Fine ~ covered the hill near the volcano.
▪ cigarette , volcanic , wood
… OF ASH
A cloud of ~ rose from the volcano.
VERB + ASH
▪ flick , tap (used about cigarette ash)
He flicked ~ into the ashtray.
▪ reduce sth to , turn to ~es
a town reduced to ~es by war
All her dreams had turned to ~es. ( figurative )
ASH + VERB
Ash from the volcano fell over a wide area.
▪ rise from the ~es ( figurative )
The party had risen from the ~es of electoral disaster.
2 ashes remains of a dead body
VERB + ASHES
▪ scatter , spread
His ~es were scattered on his beloved farm.
Ash is used before these nouns: ↑ blonde , ↑ heap
Ash is used after these nouns: ↑ cigar , ↑ cigarette