Meaning of HEATING in English
noun (esp. BrE ) ⇨ See also ↑ heat
▪ electric , gas-fired ( BrE ), radiant ( AmE ), solar
gas-fired central ~
▪ central , domestic , home , space ( AmE ), underfloor
VERB + HEATING
The house has central ~.
▪ have on , keep on , leave on , use
We haven't had the ~ on this evening.
▪ put on , switch on ( esp. BrE ), turn on
They are afraid to put the ~ on because it's so expensive.
▪ switch off ( esp. BrE ), turn off
They have their ~ turned off during the morning.
▪ turn down , turn up
▪ fit , install , provide , put in
We're having central ~ installed.
HEATING + VERB
▪ be on , be on high , be on low
The ~ was on but the window was open.
The heating's on low.
▪ be off
▪ come on
▪ go off
Our ~ goes off at eleven o'clock and comes on again at seven.
The ~ doesn't work.
▪ break down
The house was very cold because the ~ had broken down.
HEATING + NOUN
▪ bill ( BrE , AmE )
▪ system ( BrE , AmE )
What sort of ~ system does your new place have?
▪ oil ( BrE , AmE )
Oxford Collocations English Dictionary. Оксфордский английский словарь словосочетаний . 2012