▪ careful , detailed , in-depth , meticulous , painstaking , rigorous , thorough
▪ considerable , exhaustive , extensive
He has carried out extensive ~ into renewable energy sources.
▪ latest , new , recent
▪ current , present
▪ earlier , past , previous , prior
▪ cutting-edge , groundbreaking , innovative , pioneering
pioneering ~ into skin disease
▪ empirical , experimental
▪ Internet , online
▪ academic , scholarly ( esp. AmE )
▪ graduate , undergraduate , university
▪ clinical , educational , historical , medical , military , scientific , social , space
▪ AIDS , cancer , etc.
Extremists called for a ban on animal ~.
For his PhD he conducted field ~ in Indonesia.
… OF RESEARCH
a startling piece of historical ~
VERB + RESEARCH
▪ carry out , conduct , do , perform , pursue , undertake
She's doing ~ on Czech music.
▪ produce , provide
▪ present , publish
▪ be based on
One paper based on ~ conducted at Oxford suggested that the drug may cause brain damage.
▪ fund , sponsor , support
▪ direct , lead , oversee
▪ need , require
Further ~ is needed.
▪ encourage , promote , stimulate
RESEARCH + VERB
▪ demonstrate sth , find sth , identify sth , indicate sth , reveal sth , show sth , suggest sth , support sth
~ which identifies the causes of depression
What has their ~ shown?
The ~ does not support these conclusions.
▪ demonstrate that … , find that … , indicate that … , reveal that … , show that … , suggest that …
Research demonstrates that women are more likely than men to provide social support to others.
▪ link sth to sth , link sth with sth
the ~ done in the 1950s that linked smoking with cancer
▪ confirm sth , prove sth
▪ produce sth , yield sth
Recent ~ on deaf children has produced some interesting findings.
▪ examine sth , explore sth , focus on sth , investigate sth
▪ involve sth
▪ be part of sth
RESEARCH + NOUN
▪ effort , programme/program , project , study , work
Who is directing the group's ~ effort?
▪ methodology , methods
▪ findings , results
Copies of the tape can be made for ~ purposes.
▪ centre/center , facility , lab ( informal ), laboratory , station , unit
▪ company , firm , institute , institution , organization , university
▪ analyst , assistant , associate , director , fellow , scientist , student , worker
▪ group , team
▪ funding , grant
▪ paper , report
▪ subject , topic
▪ ~ in
Most ~ in the field has concentrated on the effects on children.
▪ ~ into , ~ on
They are carrying out ~ into the natural flow patterns of water.
▪ an area of ~
▪ focus your ~ on sth
He focused his ~ on the economics of the interwar era.
▪ sb's own ~
They lack the resources to do their own ~.
▪ ~ and development (abbreviated to R & D )
spending on military ~ and development
▪ carefully , exhaustively , extensively , fully , meticulously , properly , thoroughly , well
The book has been poorly ~ed.
She is currently ~ing for her next novel.
I spent two years carefully ~ing into his background.
Research is used with these nouns as the object: ↑ article , ↑ biography , ↑ topic