▪ effective , good , sound ( esp. AmE ), successful , winning
▪ bad , poor
▪ alternative , different
▪ clear , coherent , simple
▪ long-term , medium-term , short-term
▪ basic , broad , general , overall
Their overall ~ is good, but one or two of the details could be improved.
a key ~ to increase sales
▪ global , international , national
a global marketing ~
▪ draft ( esp. BrE )
The committee drew up a draft ~ for dealing with future floods.
▪ dual , two-pronged
The government has employed a dual ~ to achieve these two objectives.
▪ innovative , radical
▪ high-risk ( esp. BrE ), risky
The company adopted aggressive marketing strategies to sell its products.
▪ defensive , offensive ( esp. AmE ), proactive
▪ prevention , preventive
Her rudeness was a deliberate ~ to provoke him.
▪ economics-based , market-oriented , etc.
a customer-oriented business ~
▪ anti-inflationary , anti-racist , etc.
We all have different coping strategies for times of stress.
No one has yet come up with an exit ~ for the troops.
▪ defence/defense , military
▪ campaign , election , electoral , government , political
▪ instructional ( AmE ), pedagogic , teaching
▪ business , commercial , company , corporate , financial , investment , management , marketing , pricing , product , promotional , recruitment , research , sales
resource management strategies
▪ economic , energy , environmental , industrial , legislative , etc.
VERB + STRATEGY
▪ design , develop , devise , draw up , formulate , map out , plan , plot ( esp. AmE ), work out
A coherent ~ for getting more people back to work needs to be developed.
The charity is drawing up a ~ to meet the needs of the homeless.
The committee is meeting today in Washington to plot ~. ( AmE )
It is certainly a ~ worth exploring.
▪ choose , decide , decide on
▪ adopt , employ , execute ( esp. AmE ), follow , implement , pursue , use , utilize ( esp. AmE )
They're pursuing a ~ of massive retaliation.
▪ describe , outline , set out , unveil
The document sets out the government's new ~.
▪ propose , suggest
▪ change , rethink , revise
The company will now focus its ~ on its core business areas.
STRATEGY + VERB
▪ be based on sth
▪ be aimed at sth , be designed to do sth
a ~ aimed at reducing the risk of accidents
▪ consist of sth , involve sth
▪ depend on sth , hinge on sth ( esp. AmE ), rely on sth
This ~ relies on property prices continuing to rise.
▪ succeed , work
The company's financial ~ is not working.
▪ backfire , fail
STRATEGY + NOUN
▪ development , formulation
▪ meeting , session ( esp. AmE )
▪ document , paper
a ~ game set during the Civil War
▪ in a/the ~
the key idea in their ~
▪ ~ for
to develop an effective ~ for change
▪ ~ on
the party's ~ on poverty
▪ ~ towards/toward
a comprehensive ~ towards/toward regional development
▪ a change in ~
The coming year may herald a change in ~ for major publishers.
▪ the adoption of a ~ , the development of a ~ , the formulation of a ~
The money is earmarked for the development of new product and sales strategies.
▪ the implementation of a ~ , the pursuit of a ~
Their single-minded pursuit of this controversial ~ led to their fall from power.
▪ part of a ~
He pretended that resigning was part of his long-term career ~.