Meaning of TOURNAMENT in English
▪ basketball , chess , golf , poker , tennis , etc.
▪ qualifying , ranking , World Cup
▪ European , international , local , national , regional , world
▪ one-day (in cricket)
▪ knockout , round-robin (both esp. BrE )
▪ doubles , five-a-side, seven-a-side , etc. (in football/soccer) , sevens (in rugby) , singles
▪ club , open
▪ amateur , professional
▪ pre-season ( esp. BrE )
VERB + TOURNAMENT
▪ enter , play , play in , take part in ( esp. BrE )
The ~ was played under floodlights.
Several top teams have agreed to play (in) the ~.
▪ hold , host , organize
TOURNAMENT + VERB
▪ take place
TOURNAMENT + NOUN
▪ victory , win
her first ~ win of the season
▪ leader , winner
▪ final , game
▪ director , organizer , sponsor
▪ referee ( esp. BrE )
▪ player , professional ( esp. BrE )
the ~ professional at the local golf club
She retired from ~ golf last year.
▪ in a/the ~
the strongest player in the ~
▪ out of a/the ~
The loser will be out of the ~.
Oxford Collocations English Dictionary. Оксфордский английский словарь словосочетаний . 2012