vi to direct speech.
2. address ·vi to prepare one's self.
3. address ·v to prepare or make ready.
4. address ·vt act of preparing one's self.
5. address ·vt attention in the way one's addresses to a lady.
6. address ·v to clothe or array; to dress.
7. address ·vt skill; skillful management; dexterity; adroitness.
8. address ·v to aim; to direct.
9. address ·vt act of addressing one's self to a person; verbal application.
10. address ·vt manner of speaking to another; delivery; as, a man of pleasing or insinuating address.
11. address ·v to make suit to as a lover; to court; to woo.
12. address ·v to direct in writing, as a letter; to superscribe, or to direct and transmit; as, he addressed a letter.
13. address ·v to direct, as words (to any one or any thing); to make, as a speech, petition, ·etc. (to any one, an audience).
14. address ·vt direction or superscription of a letter, or the name, title, and place of residence of the person addressed.
15. address ·v reflexively: to prepare one's self; to apply one's skill or energies (to some object); to betake.
xvi. address ·v to consign or intrust to the care of another, as agent or factor; as, the ship was addressed to a merchant in baltimore.
xvii. address ·v to direct speech to; to make a communication to, whether spoken or written; to apply to by words, as by a speech, petition, ·etc., to speak to; to accost.
xviii. address ·vt a formal communication, either written or spoken; a discourse; a speech; a formal application to any one; a petition; a formal statement on some subject or special occasion; as, an address of thanks, an address to the voters.