Meaning of ALLOY in English
vt to form a metallic compound.
2. alloy ·vt a baser metal mixed with a finer.
3. alloy ·vt to mix, as metals, so as to form a compound.
4. alloy ·vt the quality, or comparative purity, of gold or silver; fineness.
5. alloy ·vt admixture of anything which lessens the value or detracts from; as, no happiness is without alloy.
6. alloy ·vt to abate, impair, or debase by mixture; to allay; as, to alloy pleasure with misfortunes.
7. alloy ·vt to reduce the purity of by mixing with a less valuable substance; as, to alloy gold with silver or copper, or silver with copper.
8. alloy ·vt any combination or compound of metals fused together; a mixture of metals; for example, brass, which is an alloy of copper and zinc. but when mercury is one of the metals, the compound is called an amalgam.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012