Meaning of ALLOY in English
n. /al"oy, euh loy"/ ; v. /euh loy"/ , n.
1. a substance composed of two or more metals, or of a metal or metals with a nonmetal, intimately mixed, as by fusion or electrodeposition.
2. a less costly metal mixed with a more valuable one.
3. standard; quality; fineness.
4. admixture, as of good with evil.
5. anything added that serves to reduce quality or purity.
6. to mix (metals or metal with nonmetal) so as to form an alloy.
7. to reduce in value by an admixture of a less costly metal.
8. to debase, impair, or reduce by admixture; adulterate.
[ 1590-1600; aloi, OF alei, n. deriv. of aleier to combine alligare to bind up, equiv. to al- AL- + ligare to bind (see ALLY, LIGAMENT); r. earlier allay, ME allai ]
Syn. 4. fusion, blend, composite.
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012