noun a tariff or duty on goods, ·etc.
2. average ·vt to do, accomplish, get, ·etc., on an average.
3. average ·noun any charge in addition to the regular charge for freight of goods shipped.
4. average ·vt to find the mean of, when sums or quantities are unequal; to reduce to a mean.
5. average ·vt to divide among a number, according to a given proportion; as, to average a loss.
6. average ·noun the equitable and proportionate distribution of loss or expense among all interested.
7. average ·adj according to the laws of averages; as, the loss must be made good by average contribution.
8. average ·noun in the english corn trade, the medial price of the several kinds of grain in the principal corn markets.
9. average ·noun that service which a tenant owed his lord, to be done by the work beasts of the tenant, as the carriage of wheat, turf, ·etc.
10. average ·noun a contribution to a loss or charge which has been imposed upon one of several for the general benefit; damage done by sea perils.
11. average ·noun any medial estimate or general statement derived from a comparison of diverse specific cases; a medium or usual size, quantity, quality, rate, ·etc.
12. average ·noun a mean proportion, medial sum or quantity, made out of unequal sums or quantities; an arithmetical mean. thus, if a loses 5 dollars, b 9, and c 16, the sum is 30, and the average 10.
13. average ·vi to form, or exist in, a mean or medial sum or quantity; to amount to, or to be, on an average; as, the losses of the owners will average twenty five dollars each; these spars average ten feet in length.
14. average ·adj pertaining to an average or mean; medial; containing a mean proportion; of a mean size, quality, ability, ·etc.; ordinary; usual; as, an average rate of profit; an average amount of rain; the average englishman; beings of the average stamp.