Meaning of CHANNEL in English
noun a gutter; a groove, as in a fluted column.
2. channel ·vt to course through or over, as in a channel.
3. channel ·noun the hollow bed where a stream of water runs or may run.
4. channel ·noun a strait, or narrow sea, between two portions of lands; as, the british channel.
5. channel ·vt to form a channel in; to cut or wear a channel or channels in; to groove.
6. channel ·noun that through which anything passes; means of passing, conveying, or transmitting; as, the news was conveyed to us by different channels.
7. channel ·noun the deeper part of a river, harbor, strait, ·etc., where the main current flows, or which affords the best and safest passage for vessels.
8. channel ·noun flat ledges of heavy plank bolted edgewise to the outside of a vessel, to increase the spread of the shrouds and carry them clear of the bulwarks.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012