Meaning of FORMAL in English
adj sound; normal.
2. formal ·adj dependent in form; conventional.
3. formal ·noun ·see methylal.
4. formal ·adj belonging to the form, shape, frame, external appearance, or organization of a thing.
5. formal ·adj having the form or appearance without the substance or essence; external; as, formal duty; formal worship; formal courtesy, ·etc.
6. formal ·adj done in due form, or with solemnity; according to regular method; not incidental, sudden or irregular; express; as, he gave his formal consent.
7. formal ·adj devoted to, or done in accordance with, forms or rules; punctilious; regular; orderly; methodical; of a prescribed form; exact; prim; stiff; ceremonious; as, a man formal in his dress, his gait, his conversation.
8. formal ·adj belonging to the constitution of a thing, as distinguished from the matter composing it; having the power of making a thing what it is; constituent; essential; pertaining to or depending on the forms, so called, of the human intellect.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012