Meaning of POSITIVE in English
2. positive ·noun the positive degree or form.
3. positive ·noun that which settles by absolute appointment.
4. positive ·noun that which is capable of being affirmed; reality.
5. positive ·noun the positive plate of a voltaic or electrolytic cell.
6. positive ·adj having the power of direct action or influence; as, a positive voice in legislation.
7. positive ·adj prescribed by express enactment or institution; settled by arbitrary appointment; said of laws.
8. positive ·adj having a real position, existence, or energy; existing in fact; real; actual;
opposed to negative.
9. positive ·adj fully assured; confident; certain; sometimes, overconfident; dogmatic; overbearing;
said of persons.
10. positive ·adj hence, basic; metallic; not acid;
opposed to negative, and said of metals, bases, and basic radicals.
11. positive ·add. ·adj designating, or pertaining to, a device giving a to-and-fro motion; as, a positive dobby.
12. positive ·adj definitely laid down; explicitly stated; clearly expressed;
opposed to implied; as, a positive declaration or promise.
13. positive ·noun a picture in which the lights and shades correspond in position with those of the original, instead of being reversed, as in a negative.
14. positive ·adj corresponding with the original in respect to the position of lights and shades, instead of having the lights and shades reversed; as, a positive picture.
15. positive ·add. ·adj designating a method of steering or turning in which the steering wheels move so that they describe concentric arcs in making a turn, to insure freedom from side slip or harmful resistance.
xvi. positive ·adj derived from an object by itself; not dependent on changing circumstances or relations; absolute;
opposed to relative; as, the idea of beauty is not positive, but depends on the different tastes individuals.
xvii. positive ·adj hence: not admitting of any doubt, condition, qualification, or discretion; not dependent on circumstances or probabilities; not speculative; compelling assent or obedience; peremptory; indisputable; decisive; as, positive instructions; positive truth; positive proof.
xviii. positive ·add. ·adj designating, or pertaining to, a motion or device in which the movement derived from a driver, or the grip or hold of a restraining piece, is communicated through an unyielding intermediate piece or pieces; as, a claw clutch is a positive clutch, while a friction clutch is not.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012