noun a primary meeting; a caucus.
2. primary ·adj earliest formed; fundamental.
3. primary ·noun that which stands first in order, rank, or importance; a chief matter.
4. primary ·adj first in order of time or development or in intention; primitive; fundamental; original.
5. primary ·noun a primary planet; the brighter component of a double star. ·see under planet.
6. primary ·adj first in order, as being preparatory to something higher; as, primary assemblies; primary schools.
7. primary ·adj first in dignity or importance; chief; principal; as, primary planets; a matter of primary importance.
8. primary ·noun one of the large feathers on the distal joint of a bird's wing. ·see plumage, and ·illust. of bird.
9. primary ·adj illustrating, possessing, or characterized by, some quality or property in the first degree; having undergone the first stage of substitution or replacement.