noun a lecture or prelection; public recital.
2. reading ·adj addicted to reading; as, a reading community.
3. reading ·p.pr. & ·vb.n. of read.
4. reading ·adj of or pertaining to the act of reading; used in reading.
5. reading ·noun study of books; literary scholarship; as, a man of extensive reading.
6. reading ·noun manner of reciting, or acting a part, on the stage; way of rendering.
7. reading ·noun the act of one who reads; perusal; also, printed or written matter to be read.
8. reading ·noun an observation read from the scale of a graduated instrument; as, the reading of a barometer.
9. reading ·noun the way in which anything reads; force of a word or passage presented by a documentary authority; lection; version.