adj alone; having no companion.
2. single ·noun a handful of gleaned grain.
3. single ·adj uncompounded; pure; unmixed.
4. single ·adj simple; not wise; weak; silly.
5. single ·vt to take alone, or one by one.
6. single ·noun a unit; one; as, to score a single.
7. single ·adj not deceitful or artful; honest; sincere.
8. single ·adj hence, unmarried; as, a single man or woman.
9. single ·noun a hit by a batter which enables him to reach first base only.
10. single ·noun a game with but one player on each side;
usually in the plural.
11. single ·adj performed by one person, or one on each side; as, a single combat.
12. single ·noun the reeled filaments of silk, twisted without doubling to give them firmness.
13. single ·adj not doubled, twisted together, or combined with others; as, a single thread; a single strand of a rope.
14. single ·vt to sequester; to withdraw; to retire.
15. single ·vi to take the irrregular gait called single-foot;- said of a horse. ·see single-foot.
xvi. single ·adj one only, as distinguished from more than one; consisting of one alone; individual; separate; as, a single star.
xvii. single ·vt to select, as an individual person or thing, from among a number; to choose out from others; to separate.