Meaning of SLATE in English
vt a tablet for writing upon.
2. slate ·vt a prepared piece of such stone.
3. slate ·vt a thin plate of any material; a flake.
4. slate ·vt any rock or stone having a slaty structure.
5. slate ·vt a thin, flat piece, for roofing or covering houses, ·etc.
6. slate ·vt to set a dog upon; to bait; to slat. ·see 2d slat, 3.
7. slate ·vt an artificial material, resembling slate, and used for the above purposes.
8. slate ·vt an argillaceous rock which readily splits into thin plates; argillite; argillaceous schist.
9. slate ·vt to register (as on a slate and subject to revision), for an appointment.
10. slate ·vt to cover with slate, or with a substance resembling slate; as, to slate a roof; to slate a globe.
11. slate ·vt a list of candidates, prepared for nomination or for election; a list of candidates, or a programme of action, devised beforehand.
Webster English vocab. Английский словарь Webster. 2012