noun the sliding crosspiece, or vane, on a leveling staff.
2. target ·add. ·noun a tassel or pendent; also, a shred; tatter.
3. target ·noun a kind of small shield or buckler, used as a defensive weapon in war.
4. target ·noun a conspicuous disk attached to a switch lever to show its position, or for use as a signal.
5. target ·add. ·noun a thin cut; a slice; specif., of lamb, a piece consisting of the neck and breast joints.
6. target ·noun the pattern or arrangement of a series of hits made by a marksman on a butt or mark; as, he made a good target.
7. target ·noun a butt or mark to shoot at, as for practice, or to test the accuracy of a firearm, or the force of a projectile.