— adhesively , adv. — adhesiveness , n.
/ad hee"siv, -ziv/ , adj.
1. coated with glue, paste, mastic, or other sticky substance: adhesive bandages.
2. sticking fast; sticky; clinging.
3. Physics. of or pertaining to the molecular force that exists in the area of contact between unlike bodies and that acts to unite them.
4. a substance that causes something to adhere, as glue or rubber cement.
5. See adhesive tape .
6. Philately. a postage stamp with a gummed back, as distinguished from one embossed or printed on an envelope or card.
[ 1660-70; ADHES(ION) + -IVE ]