/en"ee/ , adj.
1. one, a, an, or some; one or more without specification or identification: If you have any witnesses, produce them. Pick out any six you like.
2. whatever or whichever it may be: cheap at any price.
3. in whatever quantity or number, great or small; some: Do you have any butter?
4. every; all: Any schoolboy would know that. Read any books you find on the subject.
5. (following a negative) at all: She can't endure any criticism.
6. an unspecified person or persons; anybody; anyone: He does better than any before him.
7. a single one or ones; an unspecified thing or things; a quantity or number: We don't have any left.
8. in whatever degree; to some extent; at all: Do you feel any better?
9. any which way , in any manner whatever; indifferently or carelessly: Doing your work any which way is just not good enough.
[ bef. 950; ME eni, ani, OE aenig (OE an ONE + -ig -Y 1 ) ]
Syn. 3. See some .
Usage . See anybody, anyone, anyplace, anyway, either, they .