/berrth/ , n.
1. an act or instance of being born: the day of his birth.
2. the act or process of bearing or bringing forth offspring; childbirth; parturition: a difficult birth.
3. lineage; extraction; descent: of Grecian birth.
4. high or noble lineage: to be foolishly vain about one's birth.
5. natural heritage: a musician by birth.
6. any coming into existence; origin; beginning: the birth of Protestantism; the birth of an idea.
7. Archaic. something that is born.
8. give birth to ,
a. to bear (a child).
b. to initiate; originate: Her hobby gave birth to a successful business.
v.t. Chiefly South Midland and Southern U.S.
9. to give birth to.
10. to assist in giving birth; act as midwife for.
[ 1150-1200; ME byrthe byrth; c. OE gebyrd, OHG giburt, Goth gabaurths ]
Syn. 3. parentage, ancestry, line, blood, family, race. 6. start, commencement, inception, genesis; launching, inauguration.