— conferential /kon'feuh ren"sheuhl/ , adj.
/kon"feuhr euhns, -freuhns/ , n. , v. , conferenced, conferencing .
1. a meeting for consultation or discussion: a conference between a student and his adviser.
2. the act of conferring or consulting together; consultation, esp. on an important or serious matter.
3. Govt. a meeting, as of various committees, to settle disagreements between the two branches of the legislature.
4. an association of athletic teams; league: an intercollegiate conference.
a. an official assembly of clergy or of clergy and laity, customary in many Christian denominations.
b. a group of churches whose representatives regularly meet in such an assembly.
6. to hold or participate in a conference or series of conferences.
[ 1530-40; conferentia. See CONFER, -ENCE ]
Syn. 1. parley, colloquium. See convention .