Meaning of CORRECTION in English
/keuh rek"sheuhn/ , n.
1. something that is substituted or proposed for what is wrong or inaccurate; emendation.
2. the act of correcting.
3. punishment intended to reform, improve, or rehabilitate; chastisement; reproof.
4. Usually, corrections . the various methods, as incarceration, parole, and probation, by which society deals with convicted offenders.
5. a quantity applied or other adjustment made in order to increase accuracy, as in the use of an instrument or the solution of a problem: A five degree correction will put the ship on course.
6. a reversal of the trend of stock prices, esp. temporarily, as after a sharp advance or decline in the previous trading sessions.
[ 1300-50; ME correccio ( u ) n ( correction- (s. of correctio ) a setting straight. See CORRECT, -ION ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012