Meaning of CYLINDER in English
— cylinderlike , adj.
/sil"in deuhr/ , n.
1. Geom. a surface or solid bounded by two parallel planes and generated by a straight line moving parallel to the given planes and tracing a curve bounded by the planes and lying in a plane perpendicular or oblique to the given planes.
2. any cylinderlike object or part, whether solid or hollow.
3. the rotating part of a revolver, containing the chambers for the cartridges.
4. (in a pump) a cylindrical chamber in which a piston slides to move or compress a fluid.
5. (in an engine) a cylindrical chamber in which the pressure of a gas or liquid moves a sliding piston.
6. (in certain printing presses)
a. a rotating cylinder that produces the impression and under which a flat form to be printed from passes.
b. either of two cylinders, one carrying a curved form or plate to be printed from, that rotate against each other in opposite directions.
7. (in certain locks) a cylindrical device for retaining the bolt until tumblers have been pushed out of its way.
8. (in a screw or cylindrical gear) an imaginary cylindrical form, concentric to the axis, defining the pitch or the inner or outer ends of the threads or teeth.
9. Computers. the tracks of a magnetic disk that are accessible from a single radial position of the access mechanism.
10. Textiles. the main roller on a carding machine, esp. the roller covered with card clothing that works in combination with the worker and stripper rollers in carding fibers.
11. Archaeol. a cylindrical or somewhat barrel-shaped stone or clay object bearing a cuneiform inscription or a carved design, worn by the Babylonians, Assyrians, and kindred peoples as a seal and amulet.
12. to furnish with a cylinder or cylinders.
13. to subject to the action of a cylinder or cylinders.
[ 1560-70; cylindrus kýlindros roller, cylinder, akin to kylíndein to roll ]
Random House Webster's Unabridged English dictionary. Полный английский словарь Вебстер - Random House . 2012